Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Kontan! (Happy)


I just got done taking the children to school this morning. Our Kabota is currently having the oil and filtered changed so I walked with Guilliume and the children to school. The walk there was great, but on the way back I do have to say I was a little tired! Wow I am out of shape. It did feel good to be walking and active!

Both of our children that have been having fevers did not have any this morning and both felt well enough to go to school! I was very happy about that, but still want to watch them closely.

Chrisaline is finally getting better! She has been sick since I arrived here! I am so relieved that we have figured out what is wrong with her and treated her with the right medication now. Things are a little more difficult in Haiti…not knowing the language and it taking a whole day to get to the doctor. This really can slow things down. Anyways no more pustules on her head and her stomach is not hurting. She still has about 4 days left on her medication, but on her way to recovery!

I received an email from Kristina last night. Kristina is the one who monitors the children’s nutrition and extra supplements they are getting. She said that six of the children can stop taking the medika mumba and all of them are improving. It was such good news to hear and I know the children will be happy to hear that tonight.

Each day brings new adventures and challenges. The children have improved tremendously at getting ready in the morning, but have struggled with listening during meal time and getting to bed on time. I continue to work with Guilliume and Fanfan to try to improve this! However with 42 children, I do think overall things are going well!

I just finished reading the book Restavec by Jean-Robert Cadet. If you have not read it I would strongly recommend it. It is incredibly sad but explains so well the life of child slavery in Haiti and how terrible it truly is. I now look at every child I see differently, wondering what their story is and what their life is like. As I pass children carrying water, not in school I wonder about their parents or lack of them. It really reiterates the fact of why this orphanage is here and how God is working through this place to give these children hope for the future.

As I get to enjoy my day here, I know my husband is at home doing taxes. Thank you to him for continuing to take care of everything at home. It is such a blessing knowing all of that is being taken care of!

Trying out all the new bandanas we got! Thanks to everyone for all that you sent us this past week. We are truly grateful!

Ironing the clothes.

Picture with Jovany in my room

No comments:

Post a Comment